Taco Rice BowlCourse: SaladsDifficulty: Beginner
This is one of the easy lunches that I prep ahead of time for myself. It’s a favorite for sure because it’s simple but so tasty.
1 cup rice white or brown, doesn’t matter
2 cups water
1 15oz can black beans, drained
1 10oz can diced tomatoes with chilies
avocado slices optional
green onion, chopped optional
shredded cheese optional
shredded chicken optional
sour cream optional
- Cook the rice on the stove by adding the dry rice and water to a medium pot with heat on high. Once it begins to boil, bring the temperature to low, cover, and allow to simmer for about 10-15 minutes or until you no longer see water pooling when you partially tip the pot to the side.
- While the rice simmers, get out three containers (about 2-3 cups in size). Evenly divide the drained black beans and drained diced tomatoes with chilies among the three containers.
- When the rice is cooked, divide that among the containers as well.
- That’s it! Store the containers in the fridge until ready to eat.
- Before eating: Warm in the microwave until heated through. This could take about 1 minute or so, stirring every 30 seconds.
- Add any additional topping that you like: avocado, green onion, cilantro, shredded cheese, cooked chicken, sour cream
- This is another great way to use up leftover chicken.
- If you can’t find diced tomatoes with chilies, add a couple spoons of your favorite salsa instead to taste.