Tomato SoupCourse: SoupDifficulty: Beginner
I remember the Minnesota winter fun I had as a child. So often we would come in from playing in the snow to have tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches. Having those now bring back all of those memories (food is kinda magical like that).
1 tbsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 14.5oz can stewed tomatoes Diced would work, but stewed adds more flavor.
1 14.5oz can diced tomatoes
2 cups chicken broth or any other broth or stock
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 cup heavy cream or half and half
3-6 basil leaves to taste
- In a large pan, heat the olive oil and garlic over medium heat until the garlic is fragrant and golden.
- Add the tomatoes and broth and bring to a gentle boil.
- Reduce heat to low and add salt and pepper. Slowly add the cream while stirring. Add more broth to thin if desired.
- Toss in the basil leaves, if using, and stir.
- Use an immersion blender or stand blender to purée the soup. (Use caution when using the stand blender, being careful not to fill the blender too full or allowing the pressure to build due to the heat of the soup. Allow steam to escape every few seconds to prevent this.)
- Enjoy the soup with your favorite toppings like oyster crackers or saltines. And don’t forget the grilled cheese!