Slow Cooker Apple ButterCourse: SidesDifficulty: Easy
5 1/2 pounds apples – peeled, cored, and finely chopped
4 cups sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon cloves
1/4 teaspoon salt
- Put the apples into a 5-6 quart slow cooker. Dump the other ingredients on top and stir them into the apples. (If your slow cooker is too full to stir, you can stir them into the mixture as the apples begin to break down.)
- Cover and cook for 1 hour on high.
- Turn the heat down to low to cook for 9-10 hours, stirring every hour or so.
- When the mixture is thickened and dark brown, remove the lid and cook uncovered for an hour so the apple butter can thicken as the moisture evaporates.
- Enjoy immediately or spoon into containers to refrigerate or freeze for later.
- Makes about 8 cups
- Using a wisk to stir or a potato masher will help break down the apples. A blender can also be used after the apple butter has cooled down.